::Words of Wisdom...

Saturday, August 27, 2005

:: She Whispered (Alternate #1)

She whispered softly into his ear. The smell of his aftershave flooded her with memories of her few memorable moments with her father. He would lather up and coat his five o'clock shadow with soap which always brought out a giggle from her even when she was trying desperately to stay hidden for fear of being discovered. Her father ritual of shaving was a deep fascination for her. "You look like an old man, daddy" she would say. He invited her into the bathroom with a grin. "Want to give it a try?" he said lathering up again for her first faux shave. Eagerly she climb upon the counter and tilted her head back, ready to receive her own white soapy beard. Together they shaved, he with his razor, her with her imaginary razor played by her index finger. She loved this time with her father, it was one of the rare moments that she had him to herself. He worked long hours at the mill and was usually too tired afterwards to give her the attention she needed. What she loved best was his big finish, the facial bathing of old spice. The smell wasn't all that pleasing to her but it was his signature smell.. that smell was her dad.
Eventually as she started getting older their time together became shorter and shorter. He took on more responsibilities at work in hopes of making more opportunities for his family. She knew he did it all for her and her mother but a part of her hated her father for not being there. The school dances, the first boyfriend, recitals... all the things that little girls want to share with their fathers.
Years flew by and his little girl became a woman with her own life. Her mother confided to her that her father's heart broke the night she left. She tried hard to believe that but it just seemed unheard of for her father to have any emotions. He was a hard man and hard men had hearts of stone, invulnerable to life's heart aches.
A nurse enters the room bringing her back to the present. The sheet covering his now frail body is stained with her mascara-tinted tears. "Are you ready?" the nurse states very matter-of-factly. She nods as the nurse places a bowl, safety razor and lathering soap at his side. She fills the bowl with warm water and begins to lather. She wipes a stray tear on the arm of her blouse not caring about the streak she leaves behind. She proceeds to coat his five o'clock shadow. He sees her daddy again for a brief moment as she gently shaves his thin fragile neck and face.
After putting the finishing touches to his stubble, she puts away the bowl and opens a small container of aftershave. With the ritual complete, she leans over and plants a kiss on his forehead. "Good bye, Daddy... See you tomorrow." Only the slowly but steady beat of the heart monitor is his reply.

7 comments:

Scott said...

I really connected with the smell of Dad, which for me was the thick piercing aroma of Old Spice. There were other odors too, when we were young and naive enough to actually pull his finger. You are onto something here, creating a connection to the reader through a shared experience. I remember vividly watching my dad doing the same.

Beth said...

You could have been peeking into my life a bit with that one. Weird. =/

Beth said...

I should say, except for the shaving. It's electric. They usually stay away from razors for the old folks now.

Mr. T said...

Thank you for the comments. I started this blog with the intention of satisfying my wife's desire for me to write. I have hundreds of ideas but no outlet and typically find it hard putting to paper my thoughts.

These are the rare moments when sometimes they find form. I'm still green, I'll admit, in my writing form but I'm glad you find some connection in what I write.

Scott said...

Everything I read says that you need to describe things using all the senses, and smell for me is one of the toughies. I'm reading Donald Maas' Writing the Breakout Novel. Check it out, take a creative writing course, get into a writers group, and use your blog for practice, and do it more often. Write every day. You have a lot of talent and you should refine it.

Beth said...

I was actually a published writer. I had a monthly column. Writing takes discipline that I just don't have anymore, but I miss writing the really good stuff.

Still, I have writer's ego. I read stuff and think, "OH yeah, I'm better than that." LMAO!

Unknown said...

This 'Whisper' series is very good writing.

It's gripping, gives the reader his own visual of the main character, and although you don't want the story to end, you are fully satisfied when it does.

Haunting, fluid, and very enjoyable--Please keep writing...