::Words of Wisdom...

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

:: Dawn of the Weird

Ok, first let me start off with some history.

  • Finally watched the remake of Dawn of the Dead. Very creepy, seems this type of horror is the only thing that can get my skin crawling... End of the world, hopeless, killer viruses, zombie movies (28 days later freaked me out, no joke).
  • There is a weapon testing lab just east of where I live (approx 10-20 miles).
  • There was a grass fire moving dangerously close to said lab.
  • I don't typically remember my dreams when I wake so remembering them is freaking in its own right
  • Don't remember eating anything unsettling before bed time.

    Ok, now to my story.

    I'm on a con call with a customer (several employees of customer actually) and a few guys from development and support discussing the current hot issue with customer. I am half way listening as its boring and my engineers are dropping in for quick questions about this and that. The conversation perks my interest when they start speaking about Zombies. Why? I guess because zombies don't usually come up in topics and because of point one above and the dream I had last night. In their context they were speaking about processes being zombied, which is where a process will appear to be running but its really just sitting there (maybe waiting for another process to come by so it can eat the innocent passerby). In my mind, I immediately replay the spotted memory of the dream I had last night (or this morning which would explain why I actually can remember most of it).

    The fire spreads uncontrollably, greedily gobbling up the grassy fields of the country side.. over the hill stands the Weapons Testing Lab of Neverwhere. People scramble to fight the fire but its hopeless, in a matter of minutes the lab and last remains of the non-evacuated employees are consumed. Like all good horror flicks the supposedly impossible becomes possible. The frantic employee in charge of securing the lab's secret bioweapon facility forgets to lock down subject X43123 (Z virus). The heat and destruction releases the virus from its containment and is released. Luckily its localized to the lab. Unluckily, there is a survivor who is found and rushed to the local medical facility. Virus is then unleashed savagely upon the unaware public in a matter of hours.. meanwhile, the T family are resting cozily in their beds. For some reason I'm not there, or at least not in scene. I'm aware of it all but from a "director's" point of view. Oddly enough the kids are older, by 5-6 years. Maybe its the future and I'm dead? Anyway. Zombies flood the nearby neighborhood creating chaos... a few attack the house, immediately waking the kids and Mrs. T There are few close calls and when all seems lost, zombies breaking through the barricaded front door... a skylight appears in the ceiling and is broken through by a man dressed in a black hardshell suit.. darn it if it doesn't look like batman only not as buff.. and his mask if off showing off a head of fro-like curls.
    Ok this is going from horrific to just plain weird. The stranger does a few ninja like moves and pulls out a set of nunchukas and then turns... its Napoleon Dynamite dress like batman saving my family (where I seem to be absent) from a horde of zombies.
    Why I dreamed this I do not know. Any analysis would be welcome.. I can only guess that I've had a lot on my mind and these few items were on the fore front due to their proximity in my timeline of recent events. Either way, I found it very odd to not only have dreamed this but to have remembered it as well.
  • 9 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Dang,
    I know I said you should blog about your dream, but I didn't realize you'd churn out a short story.
    By the way, it was...incredible....

    -S

    Mr. T said...

    What can I say, S.. you INSPIRE me. ;)

    Scott said...

    I wouldn't look at it as a premonition, but the temptation is there because the dream reflects your fears. My guess is that you fear most of all not being there when your family is in trouble.

    Mr. T said...

    I don't think that Zombies with happen.. but maybe a fire? Anyway I think it was just a weird dream.. it didn't seem prophetic to me.. just weird.

    its defnitely a fear of mine to not be here for my family when they need me most.

    Unknown said...

    perhaps you should look at the zombies in a funny way...say, watching "shaun of the dead". i own it. i will bring it when i come in august. is very funny and about saving the ones you love from zombies and succeeding.

    Mr. T said...

    I LOVE that movie!!
    Yes bring it.. S needs to see it as well ;)

    Beth said...

    I am a zombie movie fan. I think "Shaun of the Dead" was one of the best, but Napoleon Dynamite was Batman on the Mtv awards. Did you see the show? I mentioned "buttloads of power" in your shoutbox, which was a direct quote from Napoleon at the Mtv movie awards.

    I always fight zombies, vampires, and everything else in my dreams. I have no idea what it means.

    mr. schprock said...

    "The stranger does a few ninja like moves and pulls out a set of nunchukas and then turns... its Napoleon Dynamite dress like batman saving my family (where I seem to be absent) from a horde of zombies."

    Either get treatment or write a script and pitch it to Hollywood now!

    Mr. T said...

    Good idea... but imagine all the money I'd have to pay in royalties for using the likeness of Napoleon... the other's would probably beg me to use them in a movie.. particularly Batman.
    (Though the latest in the franchise wasn't bad.)