::Words of Wisdom...

Monday, July 18, 2005

:: Womanese, a brief translation

As I continue to explore the finer points of intercommunication, I have stumbled across what might be the biggest discovery since ebonics. There is a hidden language being used by the female gender of H. Sapiens. A language so secret that their male counterparts for centuries have yet to completely understand it. I, for the sake of this article, have dubbed it... womanese.


Here are few snippets from my journal that I have been able to translate:


  • "Honey, can you help me with this?"
    "Honey, Can you do this for me as I'm too busy and important to belittle myself with this task."
  • "Are you going to the kitchen?"
    "Go to the kitchen and bring me some water."
  • "Honey, I'm out of ideas for dinner. What would you like?"
    "Take me out to dinner as the 101 things in the pantry that I could make are not doing it for me."

As you might have noticed that some speakers of womanese give hints to their secret language by prepending words of endearment to the secret message. I can only guess that this is used as a subliminal signal to the male's brain to activate the "Of Course, Dear" portion of the male's brain.


Some speakers of womanese use a different indirect approach:

  • "Daddy's going to give you a bath"
    Give her a bath and no complaints as it was your idea
  • "Do you want to take her upstairs?"
    Take her upstairs and make sure she rides on your back like a pony.

Here there are no markers so the listener has to be very careful to listen out for them. Typically they present themselves as suggestions on your behalf that spawn the thought: I am? Wow, she's psychic. I hadn't even had that thought yet but there she is telling it to the world. I should take her to Vegas.


I have uncovered but only the tip of this volumous discovery but by understanding even a small portion of womanese, the male gender of this species puts himself in a precarious position. He is safe if he keeps this knowledge of the language secret but runs the risk of being labeled as "understanding" his female counterpart if he uses it to his advantage. When this does occur a form of punishment is used by the female gender of this species for discovery of this knowledge. Not only is this punishment a form of torture but also serves as a method of producing memory loss. The female takes the males to a large establishment and forces the male to endure hours of walking and sitting as the female exhibits every article of merchandise in these establishments. The mind numbing effect causes a small amount of brain damage which in some cases causes memory loss of said knowledge and in most cases a pavlov effect in the male that deters him from using this knowledge to his advantage again.

With that said, please use this information with great caution and respect. The female species can be cunning, clever and ruthless if provoked. Approach with care.

9 comments:

Mr. T said...

Figured it out? By no means did I say I've figured out anything.. just a few observations.

Beth said...

In my opinion, a man is most attractive when being a good husband and good father. I loved this post. It was my favorite from you so far.

My daughter says I do this same thing to her.

"We really need to water the flower basket by the mailbox."

"Go water it now by yourself." (her transalation)

I don't do the mind numbing buying thing. I'm a guy inside because I hate shopping, hate malls, hate stores in general (except home stores).

My punishment is the silent treatment. =)

jenbeauty said...

I do not take my husband on torture errands. It only ends up torturing me. I have other ways to torture myself.

Womenesse...I will relate this to my hubby and I am sure he will mostly agree with your sentiments. Although, he might do that in guy code so as to not let on he knows what is going on.

mr. schprock said...

My wife has refined Womanese to a higher form, known as Kinetic Interactive Sign Language (or KISL), which often results in me being thrown down a flight of stairs. Rarely am I too concussed to receive the message.

A. Darcy said...

You like going to the mall. You enjoy taking us out to dinner. You think its quite a treat to help us try on shoes.
And you know better than to argue.
:P

Mr. T said...

::Glazed over eyes::
Yes, Ma'am

Scott said...

T, In my more insensitive moments, I have been known to complain about some of these same points. Quit beating around the bush! If you want something, then damn well ask for it! I am getting in trouble all the time for answering what I perceive is the real question, which is a mistake, because she just pretends that I'm crazy or just an asshole. Both are true. What my wife needs is a GIRLFRIEND to go antiqueing with. We are still working on the part where she hands me her purse while she goes to the bathrooom.

Beth said...

Scott, I am laughing over your remarks. Fortunately, my husband loves to look at antiques and now just slings the bag right over his shoulder. The first few times though, way back when, he looked like I was handing him the plague. =)

Scott said...

I think it's intentional, a test, and earmarker of our training!